Steven has practised since 2005 in corporate and commercial law, finance, building and construction, employment law, commercial dispute resolution and insolvency. He acts for finance companies and brokers, government departments and regulators, insolvency practitioners, developers, small to medium businesses and high net worth individuals. He assists clients to resolve business related disputes with suppliers, customers, competitors, contractors and employees as well as negotiating commercial transactions. Steven represents insolvency practitioners, company directors, creditors and debtors in insolvency related matters and advises on all aspects of the administration of an insolvent entity. He has been involved in building and construction cases, contractual and consumer law disputes, and conducted mortgagee recoveries for financial institutions and insolvency matters throughout his career.
Steven’s experience includes:
- Drafting employment agreements, advising on and enforcing post-employment restraints, defending unfair and unlawful dismissal claims and claims of adverse action taken by employers, advising on employee entitlements and assisting employers in all areas of employment related matters;
- Acting for builders and developers in claims against architects, engineers and subcontractors for defective designs and work, advising on the terms of building contracts, negotiating settlements off-setting unpaid instalments against defective work and assisting developers in all areas of property development;
- Acting in mortgagee recovery/retail lending recovery matters, preparing documentation for auction, sale and completion of sales of mortgaged property, drafting finance documentation for commercial finance;
- Advising directors on all areas of their duties, obligations, responsibilities and governance issues. Acting for parties seeking relief as a result of a breach of director’s duties and from oppressive conduct towards minority shareholders;
- Acting for vendors and purchases of various small to medium sized enterprises. Acting for shareholders and directors documenting various transactions including share capital reductions, acquisitions and disposals, corporate structuring, corporate governance documentation including constitutions, and shareholders and unit holders agreements;
- Prosecuting and defending contractual and competition disputes, consumer protection claims, professional negligence;
- Advising insolvency practitioners on insolvency administration, recovery and management issues, including antecedent transactions, priority of creditors, insolvent trading, drafting deeds of company arrangement and personal insolvency agreements, admissibility of proofs of debt and remuneration for insolvency practitioners.
- Bachelor of Laws, 2004.
- Master of Laws (Commercial), 2006.
- Graduate Diploma in Legal Practice, 2005.
- Admitted to the Supreme Court of Queensland, 2005.
- Entered on the roll of practitioners of the High Court of Australia, 2005.
- Graduate of the Australian Institute of Company Directors, 2013.
- Queensland Law Society.
- Australian Institute of Company Directors.